Thursday, April 23, 2009

Dear Miss California,

While I disagree wholeheartedly with your stance on gay marriage, I am impressed that you held your convictions and did not sway to public scrutiny because it was the 'politically correct' thing to do. Many people in your position would not have had the will to do so in such a spotlight, and I believe it takes great courage to stand up for what you believe in, regardless of whether your opinion is that of your audience.

I do hope, however, that in time you will change your mind on this issue, as many people's lives and liberties are at stake in the current upheaval over marriage rights for those within the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer community. I also hope that you take the opportunity that Geoff Kors
, executive director of Equality California, has offered and sit down with him and those he has invited to share with you. It would be great to see an open, honest dialogue between people with different beliefs.

Obviously I do wish to see you change your position, but on your terms, not those of the American populace. I hope that one day you will support the LGBTQ community fully, but until then, I do wish you the best of luck in life.

Congratulations on Miss USA runner-up,
Amanda Shirkey
Michigan

No comments:

Post a Comment